The story of the Maison Smith (Smith’s house) can be traced back to the times of New France’s colony in 1608 when Champlain erected a fortified post. This place is known today as Place Royale (Royal Place). Already inhabited by the First Nations for thousands of years, it became the cradle of French America. Champlain’s post developed quickly as a shelter for the bustling port city. In 1865, a fire ravaged the first house that was later rebuilt with stones.
The Smith house was first inhabited by french pionniers until 1796 when it was bought by Charles Smith. We owe to this gentlemen our name.
Government of Quebec
All the images were taken from the City of Quebec archive and from the MAnQ